It’s coming! In September 2010, I will be hosting a Writers Police Academy in North Carolina. We’re in the process of ironing out the final details, but it’s definitely a done deal. The event will be held at the Public Safety Training Academy at the Greensboro Technical Community College in Jamestown, N.C.
Yesterday, I met with officials and instructors from the criminal justice program to discuss workshop topics and training aids. What they had to offer us simply blew me away. Remember, this is an actual police/fire/rescue training academy. We’ll have access to the same training and equipment that professionals receive. We’re talking police cars, ambulances, firetrucks – crime labs, FATS training (firearms training simulator – see above photo), weapons, handcuffs, fingerprinting equipment, including a fuming chamber for Superglue fuming, and much, much more.
Possible workshops include (subject to change depending upon instructor availability):
– Crime scene reconstruction
– Accident reconstruction
– Jail cell searches
– Defensive tactics and use of force
– Crime lab
– Impression evidence (you’ll take actual impressions of footprints, etc.)
– Search warrant entries
– Firehouse tour (there’s a fully functional fire station on site)
– FATS training using a real Firearms Training Simulator
* The FATS machine we’ll be using is similar to the one in the video, but our weapons are not tethered to the machine. You’ll be free to move around as needed.
– Patrol car equipment
– Driver training (patrol car)
– Arson investigation
– Homicide investigation
..and the list goes on.
Please visit us at writerspoliceacademy.com to reserve your space now.
We’ll be announcing a star-studded group of presenters and instructors in the coming weeks. We’ll also reveal the name of a very special keynote speaker.
As an added bonus, we chose the date to coincide with Mayberry Days in nearby Mt. Airy, N.C. Mayberry Days is a celebration of the Andy Griffith Show and features many of the former stars of the show. More details will be available at a later date.
Registration for this event will be limited, so please register early!