Police Rumors, Scandals, and Scoops
– Outside looking in: A distraught man barricaded himself inside a New York sheriff’s office. The building was evacuated after the suspect fired a shot.
– Bite me!: A Connecticut police instructor was arrested on reckless endangerment charges for biting a co-worker. The female employee and the instructor were engaged in horseplay when she said, “Bite me.” So he did.
– A rural N.C. police department spent $20,000 for two police dogs, and another $10,000 for training, a sum that drained their budget. Officials had originally hoped to purchase bullet and stab proof vests for the animals, but couldn’t scrape up the additional $1,600. However, local citizens have begun a fund raising campaign to purchase the vests.
– NYPD forensic investigator, Michelle Lee, was stabbed to death in her home. An ex-boyfriend was arrested for Lee’s murder. Forensic evidence left at the scene – evidence normally collected by Lee – was used to learn the identity of the killer.
– A Miami teen escaped from police custody by running away from the arresting officer. The police officer managed to get one cuff on the lad’s wrists before the kid made his break. The boy was charged with stealing the handcuffs.
– A jail inmate in St. Mary’s, Florida escaped from jail, stole several packs of cigarettes from a nearby convenience store, and then attempted to break back into jail. He was nabbed during the re-entry, and was later charged with escape and burglary.
– A man in Wingerworth, England was sentenced to 20 weeks in prison for repeatedly whistling the Addams Family theme at his neighbors. Prosecutors say the behavior was absolutely intolerable.
* * *
Attention! Authors, Publicists, Agents, Publishers, Editors, and Conference Directors. Want to advertise books or an event on The Graveyard Shift?
Contact us and we’ll tell you how!
Hi Mary. I only have one dog now, a toy poodle. Go figure. After all those years of partnering with a black lab and a huge rottweiler, I ended up with a poodle that doesn’t like to make a move unless I’m with her.
BTW, Lee, how many dogs do you have?
Our ice cream truck plays the worst song at an incredibly loud volume. Never did trust those ice cream truck guys.
I love the German Shepherd, too! Someday I’m going to get one, and I’ll only talk to it in German 😉 (for those of you who watch Reno911)
Vivian – He’s a beautiful animal. I have such a soft spot for dogs. I’d have dozens if I could.
Sarah, Rebekah, and queen – The worse one for me was on Frazier. Someone sang (in a monotone), “Flesh is burning, na, na, na, na, na, na. Flesh is burning, na, na, na, na, na, na.
I heard that years ago and it’s still bouncing around inside my head.
However, I love that German shepherd. Think I could take him/her home with me?
I had a co-worker who would come in & sing ‘Living La Vida Loco’ just to get that stupid song in my head. I think that might qualify for justifiable homicide, huh?
Or how about the ice cream truck that plays ‘It’s a Small World’?
I completely empathize with the victims of the Addams Family Whistler. My sister and I shared a room growing up and she would sing herself to sleep every night with “Mickey Mouse Club”. Twenty weeks in prison is not nearly enough.
Too funny, Lee.
A few years ago a Grand Rapids, Michigan teen was arrested for drunk driving. If I recall correctly, she was handcuffed, but before they placed her in the patrol car, she slipped behind the wheel of the patrol car and drove off.
The footage made it onto one of the ‘craziest police chase’ shows.