The world of cops and robbers is an entity all its own. It’s a culture that lives and breathes in every neighborhood of every city. And, within each individual subgroup comes a separate set of traditions, rules, regulations, and even their own language(s).
To survive in these various social orders, members and visitors must walk the walk and talk the talk that’s associated with each group. For example, to you the word cop might conjure up images of a burly police officer. However, to many criminals cop means to take plea agreement offered by the DA. “I’m not going to take a chance with a jury trial. I’m going to cop a plea.”
Let’s take a peek at a few more of the slang terms used by cops and robbers.
1. Sagging/Jailing (jailin”) – Wearing pants with the waistband so low that the underwear/boxer shorts are exposed. This style actually began in prisons and jails because inmates are often issued ill-fitting clothing. Their jail-issued pants are sometimes much too big which causes them to ride low on the hips.
Some say inmates who wear their pants “low” (saggers) are advertising that they’re available for sex.
2. Chicken head – Someone who gives oral sex in exchange for drugs.
3. Shorty – a nickname for girls/women. “Shorty sure looked fine last night.”
4. Bullet – A one year prison sentence.
5. Ink – Tattoo
6. Pruno – Alcohol made in jail or prison by inmates. Also known as hooch.
7. Five-O – The police. AKA: Po-Po, Barney, Bacon, Bear, Laws, Pig.
8. Lot Lizard – Prostitute who works the parking lots at truck stops.
9.. Catch a ride – Share someone’s drugs. “Hey, Dude. Can I catch a ride?”
10. Lampin’ – Hanging out under a street light. Those who do consider that spot as their turf.
Now, what are some of your favorite slang terms?