You already know about fingerprint powders, luminol, and Kevlar, right? Well, it’s time your characters added some new stuff to their crime-solving toolbox, starting with…
1. Fingerprint Ridge Builder – a chemical solution used to enhance/clarify fingerprint ridges of people with poor ridge structure, such as the elderly and people who work with their hands—bricklayers and other masons, farmers, concrete workers, etc. $19.95 per 8 0z. pump bottle
2. Blood Lifting Strips – fingerprint lifting strips that allow investigators to easily lift and preserve bloody impressions from nearly every surface, such as clothing, brick, concrete, etc. Strips appear similar to large baby-wipes and can be cut to size as needed. $44.50 per pack of 8×8 strips
3. Ozone Air Purifiers – easy-to-carry device used to eliminate odors by oxidation—body decomposition, formaldehyde (autopsy rooms), drug odors (marijuana), chemical fumes, pepper spray, etc. from crime scenes, evidence rooms, etc. $435 – $824. Price depends upon size of unit. The largest unit is capable of clearing odors, including that of decaying bodies, in spaces up to 60,000 sq. ft.
4. Blood Fixative – chemical used to set bloody prints/impressions to avoid damage during processing. $20.15 per 1 liter bottle
5. Cell Phone Faraday Storage Kit – a thick trilaminate bag with dual foil linings used to secure phones from incoming transmissions that could contaminate captured digital evidence. $21.00 per 10 pack.
6. Anti-Static Evidence Bags – used to contain and protect evidence—hard drives and other computer components—-that are sensitive to static electricity. $11.70 per 100 bags