What is it that sets writers of crime fiction apart from, well, everyone else in the entire world? Well …
1. The worst murder scene in the world pales in comparison with the thoughts roaming through your mind at any given moment of the day.
2. You actually do wonder what human blood smells like.
3. Somewhere in your house is a book containing photos of crime scenes and/or dead bodies.
4. You want to ride in the back seat of a police car.
5. Your internet search history has a file all its own at the Department of Homeland Security.
6. At least once in your life you’ve asked your significant other to pose in a certain way so you can see if it’s possible/believable to stab, cut, shoot, hack, or strangle them from a variety of angles.
7. You own a pair of handcuffs, and they’re strictly for research purposes.
8. The cop who lives in your neighborhood hides when he/she sees you coming with pen and paper in hand.
9. You attend more police training workshops than what’s required of the police officers in your town.
10. While other people fall asleep listening to soft music or gentle ocean waves, your sleep machine plays the sounds of police sirens and semi-automatic gunfire.
11. Your favorite bookmark is an actual toe tag from the morgue.
12. Writers in other genres listen to classical music while working. You, however, have a police scanner chattering in the background.
13. When using a large kitchen knife to chop vegetables, your thoughts drift to how a killer would use the blade to dismember a body.
14. You see a cop and instantly know the caliber and manufacturer of the pistol on his side.
15. You’ve searched high and low for a perfume or cologne that smells like gunpowder.
16. You own a police flashlight.
17. Your screensaver is a photo of a police K-9.
18. Your cellphone ringtone is the theme song for the TV show COPS.
19. You think you know more about crime-scene investigations than most of the cops in your city, and you probably do.
20. You’ve registered for the 2020 Writers’ Police Academy/MurderCon because it is without a doubt the most thrilling experience for writers that’s available anywhere on the planet. And yes, were pleased to announce that a few new spots are now available!